The Ethics Law and Programs Office advises current and former Department of Commerce employees on the seeking and post-employment statutes and regulations. Please refer to the handouts below or contact the Ethics Law and Programs Office for additional information on how these laws may affect your job search and post-Federal employment.
Employees are permitted to seek outside employment, but doing so may trigger disqualifications. In general, an employee may not perform any official work on a matter that would affect the financial interests of a prospective employer. Additionally, employees may need to give notice of disqualifications arising from employment negotiations.
- Seeking Non-Federal Employment
- Seeking Employment - Responding to an Overture
- A Word About Ethics - Seeking Employment
- 3 Minutes of Ethics - Seeking Employment (video)
- Notification of Employment Negotiation - Reminder that Public Financial Disclosure (OGE 278) filers, e.g., SES, SL/ST, AD, may need to file this form within 3 business days of starting negotiations for post-Commerce employment.
Employees are subject to certain restrictions and requirements even after they leave Federal employment. These post-employment rules fall into five categories: restrictions on contacting the U.S. Government, restrictions on providing advice or other services, restrictions on compensation and employment, restrictions on using non-public information, and disclosure requirements.
- Non-Senior Employee Post-Government Employment Restrictions
- Senior Employee Post-Government Employment Restrictions - Civilian (non/career) personnel whose rate of base pay is equal to or greater than 86.5% of the rate for Executive Schedule Level II ($183,467 as of January 1, 2023) and active duty commissioned officers with a pay grade of O-7 or above.
- A Word About Ethics - Post-Employment
- A Word About Ethics - Post-Employment Work as a Contractor
- Ethics At A Glance - Post-Employment
- Post-employment - Things to know before you go
- 3 Minutes of Ethics - Post-Employment (video)
- Procurement Integrity Restrictions Related to Seeking and Post-Government Employment
- DOJ Post-Employment Restrictions (ethics/prof. responsibility)